Imagine a life more bleak...

Monday, February 18, 2008

Smart brother

I just had this moment of utter fear, when I realized that I didn't know if my brother was smart enough to stay away from the military. Since the war started, I can't say I've really thought of what's been happening in Iraq. I mean I know that people are dying, but it hadn't connected in my brain that people's brothers, sisters, and families are dying. It clicked when I realized that my brother is about to turn 18. He's old enough to sign his life away to the government.

So I called my brother, and he was completely shocked that I would even think he was crazy enough to sign up for the military. I got a little tearful for some reason, even thinking of my baby brother being put in such an adult situation, fighting a fight that's not even his own, dying for a cause that is so far beyond his thoughts of becoming a pro basketball player. He heard the tears in my voice, and got completely serious on me. It's funny that I keep implying in this entry that he's less than an adult, a kid even. But he's not anymore, he's a grown man. He said, "S I really would never never join the army." I have never felt more relieved than in that moment.

He also told me that was an only son so he couldn't get called. I actually found out that isn't true. A little research said that this is false. Sadly enough you actually have to be the survivor of one who has died as a result of military service.

No comments: